DOT works to ensure good pavement, bridges

Sometimes roads are rough for a reason.

Darin Bergquist, secretary of the Department of Transportation, explained to the Senate Transportation Committee that DOT’s goal is to keep 80 percent of the pavement on state roads in excellent to good condition. The other 20 percent is in fair to poor condition.

Bergquist met with the committee last Wednesday as part of an annual update he is required by law to give to the House and Senate transportation committees.

The secretary explained to the senators that once the state paves a road, it tries to get as much wear out of the pavement as possible.

“We’re going to stretch its life as far as we can,” Bergquist said.

Currently South Dakota has more than 80 percent of pavement in good to excellent condition, according to Bergquist, with projections calling for roads to fall below that threshold in 2023.

 

To read more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition https://etypeservices.com/Gregory%20Times-AdvocateID427/

 

Ainsworth Star-Journal

921 E. 4th St.
P.O. Box 145
Ainsworth, NE 69210
PH: (402) 387-2844
FAX: (402) 387-1234

Valentine Midland News

146 W. 2nd St.
P.O. Box 448
Valentine, NE 69201
PH: (402) 376-2833
FAX: (402) 376-1946

Gregory Times-Advocate

119 E. 7th St.
P.O. Box 378
Gregory, SD 57533
PH: (605) 835-8089
FAX: (605) 835-8467